- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
‘Singham Returns’ becomes second biggest movie of 2014
MUMBAI: Ajay Devgn-starrer ‘Singham Returns’ has become the second biggest grosser of 2014 at the box office, surging ahead of Akshay Kumar’s ‘Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty’ and ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’ in its first 10 days alone.
During its first week, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 111.90 crore (Rs 1.12 billion). In its second weekend, the film got advantage of slow start of ‘Mardaani’. In absence of solid competition at the box office, it collected another 15.17 crore (Rs 151.74 million), taking its next 10-day collection to Rs 127.07 crore (Rs 1.27 billion).
Interestingly, Devgn and Kareen Kapoor, and co-producer and director Rohit Shetty each have five films in the Rs 100 crore (Rs 1 billion) club now. Only Salman Khan is ahead of Devgn with seven films crossing over Rs 100 crore.
The film is co-produced by Ajay Devgn Films, Rohit Shetty Productions and Reliance Entertainment.
Meanwhile, Yash Raj Films’ latest release, ‘Mardaani’, which featured Rani Mukerji as a cop in the lead role, saw average opening at the domestic box office. The film was released on 22 August in around 1,250 screens.
In its first weekend, the film netted Rs 13.26 crore (Rs 132.6 million). Friday collection was just Rs 3.40 crore (Rs 34 million) despite favourable reviews from film critics. The movie collected Rs 4.46 crore (Rs 44.6 million) on Saturday, while Sunday collection figures jumped to Rs 5.40 crore (Rs 54 million).
Touted by Mukerji’s comeback film, ‘Mardaani’ is produced by her husband Aditya Chopra and directed by Pradeep Sarkar.
Salman Khan-starrer ‘Kick’ by the end of its 4th weekend collected Rs 214.80 crore (Rs 2.15 billion). However, its charm has how worn off.