- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
‘Singham Returns’ becomes second biggest movie of 2014
MUMBAI: Ajay Devgn-starrer ‘Singham Returns’ has become the second biggest grosser of 2014 at the box office, surging ahead of Akshay Kumar’s ‘Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty’ and ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’ in its first 10 days alone.
During its first week, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 111.90 crore (Rs 1.12 billion). In its second weekend, the film got advantage of slow start of ‘Mardaani’. In absence of solid competition at the box office, it collected another 15.17 crore (Rs 151.74 million), taking its next 10-day collection to Rs 127.07 crore (Rs 1.27 billion).
Interestingly, Devgn and Kareen Kapoor, and co-producer and director Rohit Shetty each have five films in the Rs 100 crore (Rs 1 billion) club now. Only Salman Khan is ahead of Devgn with seven films crossing over Rs 100 crore.
The film is co-produced by Ajay Devgn Films, Rohit Shetty Productions and Reliance Entertainment.
Meanwhile, Yash Raj Films’ latest release, ‘Mardaani’, which featured Rani Mukerji as a cop in the lead role, saw average opening at the domestic box office. The film was released on 22 August in around 1,250 screens.
In its first weekend, the film netted Rs 13.26 crore (Rs 132.6 million). Friday collection was just Rs 3.40 crore (Rs 34 million) despite favourable reviews from film critics. The movie collected Rs 4.46 crore (Rs 44.6 million) on Saturday, while Sunday collection figures jumped to Rs 5.40 crore (Rs 54 million).
Touted by Mukerji’s comeback film, ‘Mardaani’ is produced by her husband Aditya Chopra and directed by Pradeep Sarkar.
Salman Khan-starrer ‘Kick’ by the end of its 4th weekend collected Rs 214.80 crore (Rs 2.15 billion). However, its charm has how worn off.