- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ becomes biggest Bollywood opener of all time
MUMBAI: Salman Khan has done it once again. The Bollywood actor’s latest release ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ (PRDP) has set the cash registers ringing at the box office: It has already raked in Rs 119.98 crore (Rs 1.2 billion) in the four days since its release on Thursday.
Thus, the Rajshri Productions film has become the biggest Bollywood opener of all time, surging ahead of Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Happy New Year’ (102.76 crore or Rs 1.03 billion), Salman’s 2015’s ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ (Rs 102.6 crore) and SRK’s ‘Chennai Express’ (Rs 97.67 crore including paid previews).
Incidentally, the Tamil and Telugu versions of the film also collected Rs 90 lakh (Rs 9 million) and Rs 1.85 crore (Rs 18.5 million) respectively, during the first weekend.
The film marks the coming together of Salman Khan and Sooraj Barjatya after a gap of 15 years. The duo have given three super hit films in the past—‘Maine Pyaar Kiya’ (1989), ‘Hum Aapke Hain Kaun’ (1994) and ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’ (1999).
The film took advantage of the long Diwali weekend and netted Rs 38.03 crore (Rs 380.3 million) on its release day itself. However, mixed reviews and a weak storyline have seen the collections dropping every day since then.
As per trade pundits, it is only Salman Khan’s stardom that has got the film such a huge response.
On Friday, the collections were at Rs 28.35 crore (Rs 283.5 million), which further dropped to Rs 27.60 crore (Rs 276 million) on Saturday and to Rs 26 crore (Rs 260 million) on Sunday.