- India’s top 5 OTT services saw 100% growth in monthly user base in H1 2017
- 'Peepli Live' Co-Director Mahmood Farooqui Acquitted In Rape Case
- BHU Molestation: Police Allegedly Thrash Female Students Demanding A Safe Campus
- US Supreme Court has option to duck Trump's travel ban ruling
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- PV Sindhu Nominated For Padma Bhushan By Sports Ministry
- Assets Worth 1.16 Crores Linked To Karti Chidambaram Are Seized
Salman, Aamir, Irrfan Khan, Big B among 774 invitees for Oscar Academy membership
MUMBAI: In a bid to boost diversity among its ranks, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which organises the Oscar Awards, has invited 774 members of the film profession to be members.
The invitees include Priyanka Chopra (‘Baywatch’, ‘Barfi!’), Deepika Padukone (‘xXx: Return of Xander Cage’, ‘Piku’), Aamir Khan (‘3 Idiots’, ‘Lagaan’), Irrfan Khan (‘Life of Pi’, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’), Salman Khan (‘Sultan’ and ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’), Mrinal Sen (‘The Case Is Closed’, ‘In Search of Famine’), Aishwarya Rai Bachchan (‘Jodhaa Akbar’, ‘Devdas’), and Amitabh Bachchan (‘The Great Gatsby’, ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’).
The two movies mentioned of Irrfan Khan won Oscars including the best director awards. Aamir Khan’s movie meanwhile was the last movie submitted from India to have been nominated for an Oscar in the foreign film category.
Those who accept the invitations will be the only additions to the Academy’s membership in 2017.
Thirty individuals including Sen have been invited to join the Academy by multiple branches. These individuals must select one branch upon accepting membership.
New members will be welcomed into the Academy at invitation-only receptions later this year.