- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Salman, Aamir, Irrfan Khan, Big B among 774 invitees for Oscar Academy membership
MUMBAI: In a bid to boost diversity among its ranks, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which organises the Oscar Awards, has invited 774 members of the film profession to be members.
The invitees include Priyanka Chopra (‘Baywatch’, ‘Barfi!’), Deepika Padukone (‘xXx: Return of Xander Cage’, ‘Piku’), Aamir Khan (‘3 Idiots’, ‘Lagaan’), Irrfan Khan (‘Life of Pi’, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’), Salman Khan (‘Sultan’ and ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’), Mrinal Sen (‘The Case Is Closed’, ‘In Search of Famine’), Aishwarya Rai Bachchan (‘Jodhaa Akbar’, ‘Devdas’), and Amitabh Bachchan (‘The Great Gatsby’, ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’).
The two movies mentioned of Irrfan Khan won Oscars including the best director awards. Aamir Khan’s movie meanwhile was the last movie submitted from India to have been nominated for an Oscar in the foreign film category.
Those who accept the invitations will be the only additions to the Academy’s membership in 2017.
Thirty individuals including Sen have been invited to join the Academy by multiple branches. These individuals must select one branch upon accepting membership.
New members will be welcomed into the Academy at invitation-only receptions later this year.