- Nokia, IIT-Delhi to Use AI to Make Networks More Reliable
- Bitcoin triggers ponzi fear: Government in a huddle, plans crackdown
- Minister Faces Angry Passengers On Delayed Flight. Air India Suspends 3
- SC allows Vodafone to initiate second arbitration over $2 bn tax demand
- INS Kalvari submarine affirms Make in India's giant strides: MDL
- Over 600 fishermen of TN, Kerala still missing after cyclone
- Dalit woman rape case: Kerala court awards death sentence to labourer
Reliance Jio signs up 72 mn customers, extends Prime membership deadline to 15 Apr
MUMBAI: Reliance Jio, the telecom arm of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), has signed up 72 million paying customers under its Prime plan.
Reliance Jio also said that the enrolment deadline for Prime membership has been extended until 15 April. Jio had earlier said that it would start charging for its data services from 1 April.
Customers are also being lured by another sop. Those who pay the monthly fee of Rs 303 by 15 April will receive free services for three months.
What this means is that those enrolling into Jio Prime by 15 April by paying Rs 99 along with the Rs 303 or other plans of higher amounts will get services till July end on a “complimentary basis” under the ‘Summer Surprise’ offer. Earlier users will be automatically shifted to the ‘Summer Surprise’ offer.
Launching on 5 September, Jio disrupted the market with its free service of voice and data. This led to the consolidation in the telecom market with Vodafone India and Idea Cellular announcing earlier this month their proposed merger. The combined entity with 400 million subscribers will topple Bharti Airtel from the leadership position.
Anil Ambani-owned Reliance Communications and Aircel are also in the process of a merger.