- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
NDTV names Election Commission as Indian of the Year 2014
MUMBAI: At the seventh edition of its Indian of the Year Awards held in Delhi, NDTV honoured the Election Commission, represented by seven former chief election commissioners of India, with the Indian of the Year title.
Other prominent winners of the evening were PRS Legislative Research & Association for Democratic Reform (Public Service), Rajeev Bajaj (Business Leader of the Year), Roshni Nadar (Young Philanthropist of the Year), Deepika Padukone (Entertainer of the Year), Kangana Ranaut (Actor of the Year), Ranbir Kapoor (Bollywood Youth Icon), Soundarya R Ashwin (Technical Innovation in Film) and PV Sindhu (Sportsperson of the Year).
The Lifetime Achievement honour in the field of entertainment was conferred upon Amjad Ali Khan, while Satish Gujral took home the award in the field of arts.
The awards were marked by a set of panel discussions over issues like public service, elections and business.
The panellists for the session on public service included Aamir Khan, Aruna Roy (social activist) and former chief election commissioner SY Quraishi, while the panellists for the business session saw MP and Bajaj Group chairman Rahul Bajaj, Bajaj Auto MD Rajiv Bajaj, HCL and Shiv Nadar Foundation founder-chairman Shiv Nadar and HCL Corporation CEO and executive director Roshni Nadar.
The third and final session was the award for the Indian of The Year which was presented by Prannoy Roy to the Election Commission of India, represented by SY Quraishi, MS Gill, BB Tandon, JM Lyngdoh, Naveen Chawla, TS Krisha Murthy and N Gopalaswami. The session was moderated by Barkha Dutt.
The evening also saw LIC chairman SK Roy present a special memento to Aamir Khan.