- McDonald’s to shut down 169 outlets in India
- Triple talaq violates rights of Muslim women: SC
- WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
- Airtel to launch its own Rs 2500 4G smartphone before Diwali
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
NBCUniversal in negotiations to acquire stake in Euronews
MUMBAI: Comcast’s NBCUniversal is in negotiations to acquire a minority stake in European news network Euronews.
NBCUniversal is planning to buy a stake of 15 to 30 per cent. Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris, who owns 53 per cent of Euronews, would remain the controlling shareholder.
Euronews’ supervisory board has mandated CEO Michael Peters to lead the negotiations.
The deal will enable NBC News to expand coverage of Europe while it will also boost Euronews’ US coverage.
Sawiris had bought his 53 per cent stake in Euronews for around $40 million.
Euronews came into existence in 1993 with the goal of becoming the “European CNN”. It airs in 13 languages and covers 155 countries.