- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
NBA plans annual lecture in memory of former CJI JS Verma
NEW DELHI: The News Broadcasters Association (NBA) has decided to organise an annual memorial lecture to honour former CJI JS Verma, who died in April last year.
Verma was the first chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA), the independent self-regulation body set up by the NBA to consider and adjudicate upon complaints about broadcasts.
The theme of the memorial lecture will be ‘Freedom and Responsibility of Media.’
“As a tribute to Justice JS Verma, former Chief Justice of India and Chairperson NHRC and the first chairperson of the NBSA, the NBA has decided to hold a yearly memorial lecture on the theme ‘Freedom and Responsibility of Media,” NBA said in a statement.
Verma also headed a government-appointed committee to frame a tough law to tackle crime against women in the wake of the Delhi gang rape incident in December 2012 and submitted his recommendations in record time.