- McDonald’s to shut down 169 outlets in India
- Triple talaq violates rights of Muslim women: SC
- WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
- Airtel to launch its own Rs 2500 4G smartphone before Diwali
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
MIB modifies stand on Veena Jain’s appointment
MUMBAI: Buckling under pressure, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has modified its stand on the appointment of Veena Jain as director general for DD News.
MIB has stated that Jain will now report to Prasar Bharati for all operational purposes. As for her additional role as officer on special duty (OSD) for new and social media, she will report to the Ministry.
Jain, who was additional DG (News) at All India Radio (AIR), was elevated to the new position on 30 May.
Her appointment had sparked a debate on the autonomy of the pubcaster as the order stated that Jain would report to the Ministry for all purposes.
The Ministry reviewed its order after Prasar Bharati chairperson A Surya Prakash and CEO Jawhar Sircar intervened.
As reported by TelevisionPost.com earlier, Prakash met I&B Minister Arun Jaitley and spoke about the autonomy of the pubcaster being impacted as Jain was appointed without consulting the Prasar Bharati board. The order was not marked to the Prasar Bharati board.