- Fashion TV working on India linear, SVOD launch by 2018-end
- Baggage tow tractor rams into Air India plane at IGI
- Reliance says Jio to turn profitable 'shortly'
- Presence of outsider in Talwars' flat cannot be ruled out: HC on Aarushi case
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Suspects' sketches released but SIT has nothing else
MIB modifies stand on Veena Jain’s appointment
MUMBAI: Buckling under pressure, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has modified its stand on the appointment of Veena Jain as director general for DD News.
MIB has stated that Jain will now report to Prasar Bharati for all operational purposes. As for her additional role as officer on special duty (OSD) for new and social media, she will report to the Ministry.
Jain, who was additional DG (News) at All India Radio (AIR), was elevated to the new position on 30 May.
Her appointment had sparked a debate on the autonomy of the pubcaster as the order stated that Jain would report to the Ministry for all purposes.
The Ministry reviewed its order after Prasar Bharati chairperson A Surya Prakash and CEO Jawhar Sircar intervened.
As reported by TelevisionPost.com earlier, Prakash met I&B Minister Arun Jaitley and spoke about the autonomy of the pubcaster being impacted as Jain was appointed without consulting the Prasar Bharati board. The order was not marked to the Prasar Bharati board.