- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
‘Lunchbox’ is only Indian film to be nominated for BAFTA
MUMBAI: ‘Lunchbox’ has been nominated for the British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) 2015 in London.
Directed by Ritesh Batra, ‘Lunchbox’ is the only Indian film to be nominated for the awards this year. It got nominated in the ‘Film Not in the English Language’ category.
Starring Nimrat Kaur and Irrfan Khan, the film will compete with Polish-Danish movie ‘Ida’, Russia’s ‘Leviathan’, Brazilian-British adventure thriller ‘Trash’ and Belgium’s ‘Two Days, One Night’.
In a press statement, Batra said, “It’s an honour to be nominated alongside the finest films of the year, much credit to my whole team and the work we did together. It’s a good validation to tell Indian stories to the world. If we don’t tell our own stories, no one else will.”
In 2013, movie was not selected by the Film Federation of India (FFI), the apex body of the film industry, as India’s entry to the Academy Awards in the ‘Best Foreign Language Film’ category. The FFI’s panel of filmmakers had instead chosen Gyan Correa’s ‘The Good Road’.
In 2014, ‘Lunchbox’ became the first Indian film to be declared the highest grossing foreign language film of the year in US, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The film has grossed over $25 million worldwide and picked up several awards at film festivals.
‘Lunchbox’ is a unique love story between a lovelorn wife and a lonely man. While it released in India in 2013, it hit the British screens only in 2014.
BAFTA awards will be hosted by Stephen Fry and will take place on 8 February.