- Infosys MD & CEO Vishal Sikka resigns, Pravin Rao interim chief
- Rescue Hyderabad minor from Omani sheikh: Maneka Gandhi to Sushma Swaraj
- After SBI, now HDFC Bank and Yes Bank cut interest rate on savings
- Election Commissioner speaks out: 'Winning at all cost, without ethics, is new normal in politics'
- Karti Chidambaram says will appear before CBI on August 23, seeks protection
- USS Fitzgerald captain during collision that killed 7 to lose command
Kapil Sharma’s debut film ‘Kis Kisko…’ pockets Rs 23.36 cr in 1st weekend
MUMBAI: Stand-up comedian Kapil Sharma’s debut romantic comedy film ‘Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon’ has met with some success at the box office. Despite its moderate budget, the film collected Rs 23.36 crore (Rs 233.6 million) net in the first weekend, making it the biggest opener of a debutant.
Directed by Abbas-Mustan, the film opened on 25 September with a net collection of Rs 8.03 crore (Rs 80.3 million), which dipped on Saturday to Rs 6.70 crore (Rs 67 million). However, a positive word of mouth and no competition (other releases of the week being ‘Calendar Girls’ and ‘Bhaag Johnny’), helped ‘Kis Kisko…’ to add another Rs 8.63 crore (Rs 86.3 million) to its kitty on Sunday.
The film also stars Arbaaz Khan as Sharma’s brother-in-law, Elli Evram as his girlfriend, and Manjari Phadnis, Simran Kaur Mundi and Sai Lokur as three wives, and Supriya Pathak and Varun Sharma in other pivotal roles.
Meanwhile, Madhur Bhandarkar’s ‘Calendar Girls’, which centres on the fashion industry and five glamour models from different parts of India, could only manage Rs 3.40 crore (Rs 34 million) in its debut weekend.
With negative reviews from the critics, the film opened with a net collection of Rs 1.1 crore (Rs 11 million) on Friday.
The movie’s Saturday and Sunday box-office collection stood at Rs 1.09 crore (Rs 10.9 million) and Rs 1.21 crore (Rs 12.1 million) respectively.