- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
Kamal Haasan, Vidya Balan, Paresh Rawal get Padma awards
MUMBAI: Veteran film-maker and actor Kamal Haasan has been named for the Padma Bhushan award. Other names making to the list announced on the eve of India’s 65th Republic Day include Ruskin Bond (literature), Pullela Gopichand (badminton), Leander Paes (tennis), Parveen Sultana (classical singing) and TH Vinayakram (ghatam).
Among the Padma Shri awardees are Bollywood actors Vidya Balan and Paresh Rawal, apart from yesteryears’ Bengali actresses Sabitri Chatterjee and Supriya Devi, as well as film-maker Santosh Sivan.
Thespians Mohammad Ali Baig and Bansi Kaul, instrumentalists Musafir Ram Bhardwaj, Vijay Ghate and Moinuddin Khan, sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik, fashion designer Wendell Augustine Rodricks, Mohiniyattam performer Kalamandalam Sathyabhama, and Kathak dancer Rani Karnaa were also honoured with the Padma Shri.
Sooni Taraporevala, best known as the screenwriter of ‘Mississippi Masala’, ‘The Namesake’ and Oscar-nominated ‘Salaam Bombay’, was also honoured with the Padma Shri.
In sports, the Padma Shri was awarded to Yuvraj Singh and Anjum Chopra (cricket), Sunil Dabas (kabaddi), Love Raj Singh Dharmshaktu and Mamta Sodha (mountaineering), Dipika Rebecca Pallikal (squash) and H Boniface Prabhu (wheelchair tennis).