- Disney set to take driver’s seat in India with the addition of Star, Tata Sky
- DishTV launches new offers in Tamil Nadu
- Nothing is finalised on pay hike of Indian cricketers: CK Khanna
- Exit polls predict BJP victory in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh elections
- Govt. clears Bill banning instant triple talaq
- Congress Request Ahead of Gujarat Poll Counting Rejected By Supreme Court
Kamal Haasan, Vidya Balan, Paresh Rawal get Padma awards
MUMBAI: Veteran film-maker and actor Kamal Haasan has been named for the Padma Bhushan award. Other names making to the list announced on the eve of India’s 65th Republic Day include Ruskin Bond (literature), Pullela Gopichand (badminton), Leander Paes (tennis), Parveen Sultana (classical singing) and TH Vinayakram (ghatam).
Among the Padma Shri awardees are Bollywood actors Vidya Balan and Paresh Rawal, apart from yesteryears’ Bengali actresses Sabitri Chatterjee and Supriya Devi, as well as film-maker Santosh Sivan.
Thespians Mohammad Ali Baig and Bansi Kaul, instrumentalists Musafir Ram Bhardwaj, Vijay Ghate and Moinuddin Khan, sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik, fashion designer Wendell Augustine Rodricks, Mohiniyattam performer Kalamandalam Sathyabhama, and Kathak dancer Rani Karnaa were also honoured with the Padma Shri.
Sooni Taraporevala, best known as the screenwriter of ‘Mississippi Masala’, ‘The Namesake’ and Oscar-nominated ‘Salaam Bombay’, was also honoured with the Padma Shri.
In sports, the Padma Shri was awarded to Yuvraj Singh and Anjum Chopra (cricket), Sunil Dabas (kabaddi), Love Raj Singh Dharmshaktu and Mamta Sodha (mountaineering), Dipika Rebecca Pallikal (squash) and H Boniface Prabhu (wheelchair tennis).