- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
ISL international players draft to feature 49 players
MUMBAI: IMG-Reliance and Star India, the organisers of the Indian Super League (ISL), have announced the names of 27 players for the ‘central international player draft pool’ representing countries like Spain, the Czech Republic, South Korea, France, Brazil, Colombia, Senegal, and Burkina Faso.
The ISL has already signed on 30 overseas players including Jairo Suarez, Andrés González (Colombia) and Bojan Djordjic (Sweden). The ‘international player draft’, to be held on 21 August in Mumbai, will feature 49 overseas players and will witness the eight ISL clubs putting their expertise to test in selecting seven international players each for the squad of 22.
Of the 30 players, Indian fans will witness the Spanish style of football with six players from the country, including Jofre Mateu Gonzalez, 34, and Victor Herrero Forcada, 28,—both products of FC Barcelona’s prolific youth system—plying their trade for the ISL clubs.
South Korean duo, Do Dong-Hyun (20) and Park Kwang II (23), will bring the Asian appeal to the ISL, while six experienced players will represent the Czech Republic.
The ISL has also roped in the services of five promising young Brazilian players from Atletico Paranaense, namely Erwin Spitzner (20), Gustavo Marmentini dos Santos (20), Guilherme Felipe de Castro (22), Bruno Augusto Pelissari de Lima (21) and Pedro Adriano Veloso Gusmao (22).
The league has closed on the remaining 19 overseas players and is in the process of receiving the contract documents from the respective identified players.