- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
IPL 2017 surpasses past editions in TV viewership, attendance: BCCI
MUMBAI: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has hailed the 10th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) as an all-round success with TV viewership, stadium attendance and social media numbers, surpassing those of the previous editions.
The BCCI said that the latest figures show TV viewership halfway through the league’s fifth week touched an all-time high in both urban and rural markets.
Quoting BARC India, the BCCI said that the reach of IPL 2017 on television is 386.3 million at the end of the 43rd match, which has already surpassed the reach IPL 2016 garnered for its entire season. As of Week 5, IPL matches occupied the top seven positions in the 10 highest-rated TV programmes on television.
Stadium attendance so far, too, has grown by 25% from last year.
The IPL registered nearly six million tweets over the first five weeks. The IPL’s other digital properties crossed 750 million page views while the IPL Fantasy League, with participation of 950,000 fans, is well on its way to crossing the as yet unprecedented one-million mark.
BCCI CEO Rahul Johri said, “The phenomenal response we’re seeing from fans across various platforms is testimony to the IPL’s enduring and yet still-growing popularity. We have worked extremely hard to ensure the landmark 10th season of the IPL is bigger and better than any before. From the new records being set each week and the trend only set to accelerate heading into the playoffs, I am confident that IPL 10’s success will surpass that of any season that has come before.”
With the play-offs just around the corner and the league approaching the ‘business-end’ of its season, viewership, attendance and digital numbers are only set to soar.