- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Hrithik’s ‘Bang Bang’ joins top openers of 2014 with Rs 80.59 cr
MUMBAI: Quite literally like its name, the Hrithik Roshan- and Katrina Kaif-starrer action romance ‘Bang Bang’ has opened with a big bang at the box office.
Cashing in on the extended, four-day weekend, the official remake of Hollywood’s ‘Knight and Day’ collected Rs 80.59 crore (Rs 805.9 million) at the box office.
On Day 1, it blasted itself into the top five openers of all time in Bollywood with a net collection of Rs 25.51 crore (Rs 255.1 million). In the overseas markets also, it emerged as the highest grossing film of 2014 beating Salman Khan’s ‘Kick’.
Interestingly, the film’s opening marked Roshan’s biggest opening of his career and Katrina Kaif now has three movies in the top five openers of all time.
In the overseas market, ‘Bang Bang’ collected Rs 41.14 crore (Rs 411.4 million) over the weekend.
Overall, the film has grossed over Rs 175 crore (Rs 1.75 billion) worldwide in its first weekend.
Meanwhile, Vishal Bharadwaj directed and Shahid Kapoor-starrer‘Haider’ picked up slowly and gradually. The adaptation of Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ collected Rs 24.22 crore (Rs 242.2 million) in the four-day weekend.
The film has garnered mostly positive reviews and also stars Tabu, Irrfan Khan, Kay Kay Menon and Shraddha Kapoor in the key roles.
The film opened with net collections of Rs 6.02 crore (Rs 60.2 million). On the second, third and fourth days, ‘Haider’ collected Rs 6.30 crore (Rs 63 million), Rs 5.53 crore (Rs 55.3 million) and Rs 6.35 crore (Rs 63.5 million) respectively.