- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
‘Happy New Year’ at box office even as ‘Roar’ overpowers ‘Supar Nani’
MUMBAI: While both ‘Roar: Tigers of the Sundarbans’ and Rekha-starrer ‘Super Nani’ have failed to generate interest among the movie goers in the country, the ‘tiger’ has managed to overpower the latter by a large margin.
Produced by Abis Rizvi and written and directed by Kamal Sadanah, ‘Roar’ collected a decent Rs 4.88 crore (Rs 48.8 million) net at box office in its first weekend, while Indra Kumar’s ‘Super Nani’ could only manage to cross Rs 1 crore (Rs 10 million).
Starring Rekha, Randhir Kapoor and Sharman Joshi, ‘Super Nani’ got negative reviews from both critics and viewers. Nonetheless, it managed to collect Rs 38 lakh (Rs 3.8 million) on the opening day, Rs 40 lakh (Rs 4 million) on Saturday and Rs 52 lakh (Rs 5.2 million) on Sunday.
‘Roar’, on the other hand, without a known star cast but high on visual effects, was a surprising contender. The film collected Rs 1.48 crore (Rs 14.8 million) on the opening day. The Saturday collection was Rs 1.56 crore (Rs 15.6 million), while it pocketed Rs 1.84 crore (Rs 18.4 million) on Sunday.
The fact that the movies were pitted against Shah Rukh Khan’s Diwali release ‘Happy New Year’ (HNY) did more damage to the two films.
‘HNY’, meanwhile, ended its first week with net collection of Rs 144.24 crore (Rs 1.44 billion). The film that raced fastest to the Rs 100 crore (Rs 1 billion) mark did slow down a bit during the week. However, as there was no strong opposition, it almost had a free run and collected another Rs 21.87 crore (Rs 218.7 million) in its second weekend.
By the end of 10th day, ‘HNY’ has made a net collection of Rs 166.1 crore (Rs 1.66 billion).
With no big releases due next week, ‘HNY’ is expected to gain more. However, industry experts don’t expect the film to cross Rs 200 crore (Rs 2 billion) milestone during the week.