- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
Global pay TV subscribers reach 969 million
MUMBAI: Based on 138 countries, Digital TV Research estimated 254 million additional pay TV subscribers, up 35%, between 2010 and 2016 to take the global total to 969 million.
According to the Global Pay TV Subscriber Databook, digital cable TV created the most additions by platform – at 256 million between 2010 and 2016. However, analogue cable TV lost 218 million subscribers, dampening overall cable gains. There were 76 million extra subscribers for IPTV to nearly quintuple its total. Satellite TV added 77 million and pay DTT 5 million.
Excluding analogue cable TV, digital pay TV rocketed from 380 million subscribers in 2010 onto 852 million at end-2016.
Asia Pacific is the world’s largest pay TV subscriber region, contributing 60% to the global total. China supplies about a third of the world’s pay TV subscribers, with 313 million by end-2016.