- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Disney India ropes in record number of brand associations for Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’
MUMBAI: Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’, which some critics feel is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made, is all set to hit Indian screens tomorrow and the excitement is substantial.
As Marvel superheroes assemble to take sides in the upcoming ‘Captain America’ movie, Disney India VP and head of consumer products Abhishek Maheshwari said that the company has put its might to bring as many as 70 brands on board for co-branded promotions, initiatives and branded products.
Maheshwari said, “Over the years, we have built a strong affinity with the Marvel superheroes among fans across age groups. For the India market, we have a record number of 70 brands collaborating for ‘Captain America: Civil War’, which is a testament to its growing popularity.”
According to Maheshwari, this would be highest for any Hollywood movie in India. In case of ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ and ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, the company collaborated with as many as 50 brands. In Bollywood movies also, this is by far the highest number of brand associations any movie has achieved to date.
The previous movie in the franchise ‘Captain America: Winter Soldier’ (released in 2014) had about 16 brands, while the latest film has seen a four-time jump. The company also said that the committed ATL and BTL spend by brands—Axe, Lifebuoy, Dell, Nearbuy and Audi for ‘Civil War’—is the highest ever for any Hollywood movie.
Furthermore, Disney India VP of studios Amrita Pandey is counting on Varun Dhawan’s appeal for the film to travel well in the heartland. “‘Captain America: Civil War’ is the year’s most-anticipated and eagerly awaited superhero film. Over the years, the Hindi audience for Marvel’s movies has grown rapidly and we are doing a lot of promotions for Marvel fans too. Additionally, Varun has a massive fan following and is a huge draw with younger audience and kids, which made him our obvious and first choice for voicing Captain America in the movie. We believe his charisma and fan following is just what we need to take ‘Captain America: Civil War’ to a wider Hindi audience.
“‘Civil War’ as a movie is a culmination of everything that has happened in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which makes it a great joy for the fans. Besides, it is a mature story that highlights human conflicts and brings the Captain America team up against Tony Stark and his team, which makes it universally appealing. Overall, there is a lot of fun and action to watch out for!”
Some of the key brand associations include:
- Jack & Jones: The company launched a range of branded apparel.
- Amazon: The online retail major will be running a full initiative around ‘Civil War’ with homepage presence and innovations based on movie trivia, freebies, etc.
- Funskool: They launched a wide range of action figures, playsets, board games and role-play items of Marvel superheroes.
- ICICI Bank: They have done a co-branding initiative with Civil War Expression debit cards.
- Lifebuoy: They have launched 46 lakh packs inspired by ‘Captain America: Civil War’ and ‘Iron Man’ movie art.
- Axe: They are promoting their variants of Champion and Maverick with Captain America and Iron Man respectively. There are more than 1.75 lakh units of twin packs available in the market with a Marvel sipper as a premium.
- Dell: It is the movie co-promotion partner with Marvel merchandise available at Dell stores.
- Landmark: Padney said that there is massive in-store branding—window display, entrance arch, photo-op zones, sensomatics to highlight the Civil War brand. Landmark has a range of products for kids and young adults.
- Scholastic: They are offering a range of story and colouring activity books.