- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
DD Bharati launches monsoon special musical shows
MUMBAI: Tapping into its archives to present monsoon specials, DD Bharati has launched two musical shows titled ‘Ghan Garaje’ and ‘The Exalted Portals of Thumri’.
The channel aims to explore the archives of DD and re-telecast vintage shows which many today have not got the chance to see.
The musical shows are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, with ‘Ghan Garaje’ to air on 19 July at 9 pm with a repeat telecast at 5 am and 1 pm on 20 July. It will showcase Pt. Kumar Gandharva and Smt. Shobha Gurtu invoking the rain god Indra with their music.
It will be followed by ‘The Exalted Portals of Thumri’ on 20 July at 9 pm, and the repeat telecast will be at 5 am and 1 pm on 21 July.
Through the show, viewers will come closer to the three thumri queens—Naina Devi, Begum Akhtar and Girija Devi, as they fete the audience with thumri pieces. While Naina Devi sings thumri, Begum Akhtar dwells on joli and Girija Devi recites a dadra.
A senior DD Bharati official said, “We want to bring back the beauty of ragas by arranging more shows like these. Our question is how many of us still remember Raga Deepak, Raga Amruthavarshini? Are our next generations aware of Baiju Bawra, Meera and Urvashi? These little things are slowly disappearing, so we wish to revive them through our programmes on Indian art and culture, and wish to take it to the international level.”
With the start of ‘Sawan Month’ (monsoon month) in India, DD Bharati has started recapturing the vibes of the slowly disappearing classical music culture.