- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
‘Dangal’ first Indian film to enter world’s top 10 weekly earners
MUMBAI: Aamir Khan’s ‘Dangal’ has become the first Indian film to enter the list of world’s top 10 weekly earners. With its China release, the film has grossed Rs 1,719 crore at the worldwide box office.
‘Dangal’ has also become the first Indian film to enter the 1,700-crore club. According to trade analyst Ramesh Bala, to date the film has earned Rs 942 crore in China, Rs 32 crore in Taiwan and Rs 745 crore in rest of the world, amounting to a total of Rs 1,719 crore.
With this humongous response, the film has not only joined the world’s top 10 earners but has also overtaken its lone competitor ‘Baahubali: The Conclusion’. As of 29 May, SS Rajamouli’s ‘Baahubali 2’ has amassed Rs 1,633 crore at the world box office.
Both ‘Dangal’ and ‘Baahubali 2’ belong to different genres and have been competing with each other for a long time. While ‘Baahubali 2’ is a larger-than-life fantasy story, ‘Dangal’ is the true story of a wrestler named Mahavir Phogat, who went against all odds to realise his dream of winning a gold medal for India by training his daughters for the Commonwealth Games.
‘Baahubali 2’ was made on a budget of Rs 250 crore and ‘Dangal’ had a budget of Rs 70 crore. ‘Baahubali 2’ is yet to release in China. It has been released across 9,000 screens worldwide and is dubbed in Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam.
Apart from ‘Dangal’, Priyanka Chopra’s Hollywood foray ‘Baywatch’ has also got a mention in the world’s top 10 earners for the week.