- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
Cricket in the 2024 Olympics if Rome wins hosting bid: Report
MUMBAI: Cricket could take a major leap forward eight years from now if Rome wins its bid to host the 2024 Olympic games. The bat and ball game will then become a part of the event.
“If Rome hosts the Olympics, cricket will be included. We have had a firm commitment from the organising committee,” Federazione Cricket Italiana (FCI) president Simone Gambino told ESPNcricinfo
It is likely that if Rome does host the games, cricket would be held in Bologna. The city hosted World Cricket League Division Four matches in 2010 and though the availability of turf pitches may be an issue, there would be time to overcome that should the bid be successful.
Which nations would be involved remains open to debate. There would probably be a maximum of 16 teams invited to take part, though there is a possibility of just 12, with Olympic regulations suggesting they will be spread across the globe, noted the report.
Cricket has not featured in the Olympic Games. The winner of the host nation for the 2024 Games will be announced next year.