- Rajasthan govt's criminal laws ordinance challenged in HC
- Flipkart in talks with Swiggy, UrbanClap and UrbanLadder for buyouts
- UGC decision may reduce SC/ST, OBC faculty posts
- Supreme Court asks government to consider regulating playing of National Anthem
- Asthana's appointment destroying CBI's independence: Prashant Bhushan
- Bilkis Bano case: SC asks Gujarat to apprise it on departmental action against convicted policemen
Cricket in the 2024 Olympics if Rome wins hosting bid: Report
MUMBAI: Cricket could take a major leap forward eight years from now if Rome wins its bid to host the 2024 Olympic games. The bat and ball game will then become a part of the event.
“If Rome hosts the Olympics, cricket will be included. We have had a firm commitment from the organising committee,” Federazione Cricket Italiana (FCI) president Simone Gambino told ESPNcricinfo
It is likely that if Rome does host the games, cricket would be held in Bologna. The city hosted World Cricket League Division Four matches in 2010 and though the availability of turf pitches may be an issue, there would be time to overcome that should the bid be successful.
Which nations would be involved remains open to debate. There would probably be a maximum of 16 teams invited to take part, though there is a possibility of just 12, with Olympic regulations suggesting they will be spread across the globe, noted the report.
Cricket has not featured in the Olympic Games. The winner of the host nation for the 2024 Games will be announced next year.