- Infosys MD & CEO Vishal Sikka resigns, Pravin Rao interim chief
- Rescue Hyderabad minor from Omani sheikh: Maneka Gandhi to Sushma Swaraj
- After SBI, now HDFC Bank and Yes Bank cut interest rate on savings
- Election Commissioner speaks out: 'Winning at all cost, without ethics, is new normal in politics'
- Karti Chidambaram says will appear before CBI on August 23, seeks protection
- USS Fitzgerald captain during collision that killed 7 to lose command
Congress planning to launch national news channel to connect with masses
MUMBAI: Congress is planning to launch a national news channel that would help it to connect with the masses.
Senior Congress leader and former Union Minister AK Antony said that discussions are on to convert Jaihind TV to a national channel. Jaihind TV was promoted by the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee a while back.
Antony was speaking at the inauguration of the new office of Jaihind TV’s national bureau in New Delhi.
Kerala Congress has been successfully running Jaihind TV for the last eight years.
Party leaders CM Oommen Chandy and former KPCC chief Ramesh Chennithala have been asked to prepare a detailed project report, reports the Indian Express.
“With Congress president’s concurrence, we have already started preparing detailed report for a national channel,” Jaihind managing director and senior Congress leader M M Hassan told the daily.
Stating that there was a demand internally for a national news channel, Antony said that the Congress was unable to convey the UPA government’s achievements and counter the propaganda against it during the 2014 elections.
“Despite being the oldest democratic force, Congress is lagging behind in new-age communication systems and is not able to catch the limelight in comparison to other parties. We are not able to counter false propaganda at a time when people no longer cast their vote just by looking at a party’s symbol,” he told reporters.