- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Congress planning to launch national news channel to connect with masses
MUMBAI: Congress is planning to launch a national news channel that would help it to connect with the masses.
Senior Congress leader and former Union Minister AK Antony said that discussions are on to convert Jaihind TV to a national channel. Jaihind TV was promoted by the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee a while back.
Antony was speaking at the inauguration of the new office of Jaihind TV’s national bureau in New Delhi.
Kerala Congress has been successfully running Jaihind TV for the last eight years.
Party leaders CM Oommen Chandy and former KPCC chief Ramesh Chennithala have been asked to prepare a detailed project report, reports the Indian Express.
“With Congress president’s concurrence, we have already started preparing detailed report for a national channel,” Jaihind managing director and senior Congress leader M M Hassan told the daily.
Stating that there was a demand internally for a national news channel, Antony said that the Congress was unable to convey the UPA government’s achievements and counter the propaganda against it during the 2014 elections.
“Despite being the oldest democratic force, Congress is lagging behind in new-age communication systems and is not able to catch the limelight in comparison to other parties. We are not able to counter false propaganda at a time when people no longer cast their vote just by looking at a party’s symbol,” he told reporters.