- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
Colors, Population First launch 8th Laadli Awards 2015–16
MUMBAI: Population First, an NGO working on population and health issues focusing on women’s rights, in association with Hindi GEC Colors, has launched the eighth edition of the Laadli Media & Advertising Awards for Gender Sensitivity (LMAAGS) 2015–16.
These awards recognise and celebrate the efforts of the media and advertising community to promote gender sensitivity in India.
The last date for receiving entries is 15 December, and the awards will be announced soon thereafter.
Viacom18 Hindi mass entertainment CEO Raj Nayak said, “Gender equality and empowerment are tangible issues faced by the Indian population today. As we steadily move towards adopting western cultural themes, there is a section of the media and advertising industry that is working diligently towards rehabilitation of various strata in our society. At Colors, it is our constant endeavour to highlight the various characteristics and traits of the strong Indian woman of today, and our association with the Laadli Media Awards is a step in this direction.”
The winners will be chosen by a jury comprising eminent personalities from the media and social sector. All the entries should comply with copyright requirements and have been published/displayed/broadcast or telecast between 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2016.
Population First executive trustee SV Sista stated, “Over the last few years LMAAGS has set a benchmark for the media in the space of gender-sensitive reporting of women. We thank the media for their continuous support in this issue. The LMAAGS was instituted to salute this spirit in the space of gender sensitivity, thus celebrating the power of media.”
The awards have been instituted to acknowledge, highlight and celebrate the commendable efforts undertaken by print and electronic media (TV, radio and web) and advertising agencies, to promote gender sensitivity as an integral part of their work.
Criteria for eligibility
The entries will be shortlisted only if they emphasise or highlight one or more of the following:
- Analyse policies, programmes and laws from a gender perspective
- Highlight influence of gender perceptions on the functioning of police, judiciary, administrators and other service providers in the implementation of laws and programmes
- Challenge gender stereotypes by focusing on men and women who are redefining their gender equations
- Analyse the social, religious and economic factors that promote gender inequality and gender violence
- Report on current events from a gender perspective
- Create awareness about pre-birth sex selection and other acts of gender discrimination and violence
- Interpret research and other reports/documents from a gender perspective
- Voice the experiences of survivors of gender violence.