- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
Balaji Telefilms’ ‘Ek Villain’ nets Rs 50.7 cr at box office
MUMBAI: Balaji Motion Pictures Ltd (BMPL), the films division of Balaji Telefilms, has announced that its latest film ‘Ek Villain’ has done a net box-office collection of Rs 50.70 crore (Rs 507 million) in its first weekend.
Released on 27 June, the film collected Rs 16.72 crore (Rs 167.2 million) on Friday, Rs 16.54 crore (Rs 165.4 million) on Saturday and Rs 17.44 crore (Rs 174.4 million) on Sunday.
Balaji Motion Pictures CEO Tanuj Garg said, “Not only is this opening the biggest for the studio, but for the industry this year, in light of the screen count. ‘Ek Villain’ scored big despite no advantage of a bank holiday weekend. With compelling content, strong word-of-mouth publicity and exemplary marketing, the film is poised to sustain and enjoy a glorious run at the box office.”
Directed by Mohit Suri, ‘Ek Villain’ stars Riteish Deshmukh, Siddharth Malhotra and Shraddha Kapoor. The film was released on 2,539 screens nation-wide.
Film distributor Anil Thadani said, “The film has found universal acceptance. It is one of those rare films that worked as well in a remote single screen as it did in an up-market multiplex. It is a blockbuster and game-changer in the real sense of the words.”
Director Mohit Suri added, “I am delighted that my first film outside my home company has opened to such a path-breaking response. The stupendous figures are testimony to the power of conviction, content and passion.”