- Infosys MD & CEO Vishal Sikka resigns, Pravin Rao interim chief
- Rescue Hyderabad minor from Omani sheikh: Maneka Gandhi to Sushma Swaraj
- After SBI, now HDFC Bank and Yes Bank cut interest rate on savings
- Election Commissioner speaks out: 'Winning at all cost, without ethics, is new normal in politics'
- Karti Chidambaram says will appear before CBI on August 23, seeks protection
- USS Fitzgerald captain during collision that killed 7 to lose command
‘American Sniper’ hits $200 mn at US box office
MUMBAI: Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Village Roadshow Pictures’ Oscar-nominated film ‘American Sniper’ has surpassed $200 million at the US box office on only its tenth day in wide release. The announcement was made by president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman.
Following its record-breaking first weekend in wide release, the Clint Eastwood-directed film has continued to fill conventional and Imax theatres in the US. ‘American Sniper’ took in an estimated $64.4 million this past weekend, representing the smallest percentage drop ever for a film that opened at more than $85 million, including both three- and four-day weekends, and bringing the domestic gross to $200.1 million and climbing. ‘American Sniper’ is now, domestically, the highest-grossing film in Eastwood’s long career, and it is on track to become his top-grossing film worldwide.
Fellman stated, “The filmmakers, led by Clint Eastwood, and cast, led by Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller, have created a gripping drama with a rare insight into the toll of war that has resonated with audiences in almost every demographic. We congratulate them not only on the film’s box-office success but on generating one of the most talked-about films of this or any year.”
‘American Sniper’ has earned six Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Cooper) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Jason Hall). In addition, Eastwood was honoured by his peers with his fourth Directors Guild of America (DGA) Award nomination and also won the National Board of Review Award for Best Director. The DGA awards ceremony takes place next month.