- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
Al Jazeera launches English news channel in Sweden
MUMBAI: Middle East news media company Al Jazeera has announced that the Swedish Broadcasting Authority has granted a licence to its English-language international news and current affairs channel. The licence is valid till 31 March 2020.
Al Jazeera English has been launched on Teracom’s digital terrestrial television platform Boxer. The channel is now available 24 hours a day to 600,000 DTT homes in Sweden on channel 38.
Al Jazeera executive director of marketing and distribution Ehab Sahawneh commented, “The granting of this licence by the Swedish Broadcasting Authority is an endorsement of the real appetite in Sweden for international news and storytelling. We know from the number of people visiting our website from Sweden that it is a fertile ground for global news. The country’s global outlook and attitude towards diversity makes it a perfect fit for Al Jazeera’s range of award-winning news and programme coverage.”