- Fashion TV working on India linear, SVOD launch by 2018-end
- Baggage tow tractor rams into Air India plane at IGI
- Reliance says Jio to turn profitable 'shortly'
- Presence of outsider in Talwars' flat cannot be ruled out: HC on Aarushi case
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Suspects' sketches released but SIT has nothing else
Al Jazeera launches English news channel in Sweden
MUMBAI: Middle East news media company Al Jazeera has announced that the Swedish Broadcasting Authority has granted a licence to its English-language international news and current affairs channel. The licence is valid till 31 March 2020.
Al Jazeera English has been launched on Teracom’s digital terrestrial television platform Boxer. The channel is now available 24 hours a day to 600,000 DTT homes in Sweden on channel 38.
Al Jazeera executive director of marketing and distribution Ehab Sahawneh commented, “The granting of this licence by the Swedish Broadcasting Authority is an endorsement of the real appetite in Sweden for international news and storytelling. We know from the number of people visiting our website from Sweden that it is a fertile ground for global news. The country’s global outlook and attitude towards diversity makes it a perfect fit for Al Jazeera’s range of award-winning news and programme coverage.”