- MIB integrates three media units under newly created BOC
- Republic TV, BTVI in strategic content alliance for Union Budget 2018
- Oyeeee Media gets board approval to partner Balaji, Essel Vision
- TV Today invests Rs 28.6 crore in Mail Today
- Prime Focus to raise Rs 330 cr via preferential warrants to cut debt
- Sony acquires India broadcast rights of T10 Cricket League
Al Jazeera launches English news channel in Sweden
MUMBAI: Middle East news media company Al Jazeera has announced that the Swedish Broadcasting Authority has granted a licence to its English-language international news and current affairs channel. The licence is valid till 31 March 2020.
Al Jazeera English has been launched on Teracom’s digital terrestrial television platform Boxer. The channel is now available 24 hours a day to 600,000 DTT homes in Sweden on channel 38.
Al Jazeera executive director of marketing and distribution Ehab Sahawneh commented, “The granting of this licence by the Swedish Broadcasting Authority is an endorsement of the real appetite in Sweden for international news and storytelling. We know from the number of people visiting our website from Sweden that it is a fertile ground for global news. The country’s global outlook and attitude towards diversity makes it a perfect fit for Al Jazeera’s range of award-winning news and programme coverage.”