- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Akshay Kumar’s ‘Gabbar’ nets Rs 36.9 cr, sees best opening in 2015
MUMBAI: Bollywood action star Akshay Kumar’s latest release ‘Gabbar Is Back’ has become the year’s biggest opener at the domestic box office.
The film has collected Rs 36.88 crore (Rs 368.8 million) during its first weekend. Prior to ‘Gabbar’, the best weekend opener of the year was Kumar’s previous release, ‘Baby’, which collected Rs 29.69 crore (Rs 296.9 million) in its first weekend.
The film has seen good collection at the box office despite getting mostly unfavourable reviews. Anupama Chopra said that the film “hits the sweet spot between outrageous and spectacularly dumb”. Rajeev Masand commented that it is “only a slight improvement on watching two hours of CCTV footage of an airport baggage carousel”.
Critics and reviews aside, the film collected Rs 12.23 crore (Rs 122.3 million) on its debut day. On the second day (Saturday), the collections were down at Rs 10.34 crore (Rs 103.4 million), while on Sunday, it spurred to Rs 14.31 crore (Rs 143.1 million).
Besides Kumar, the film stars Shruti Haasan, Suman Talwar, Jaideep Ahlawat, and Sunil Grover in supporting roles with Kareena Kapoor Khan in a cameo.