- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Akshay Kumar’s ‘Baby’ nets Rs 50.97 cr over R-Day weekend
MUMBAI: Akshay Kumar-starrer action thriller ‘Baby’, which had an average opening at the box office, has managed to end the extended opening weekend (Republic Day) with a handsome collection of Rs 50.97 crore (Rs 509.7 million).
The film collected Rs 11.17 crore (Rs 111.7 million) on Saturday, Rs 15.60 crore (Rs 156 million) on Sunday and Rs 14.90 crore (Rs 149 million) on Monday.
This is the second time that acclaimed director Neeraj Pandey and Akshay Kumar have worked together after ‘Special 26′.
The first half of the film, however, got a mixed review. Rajeev Masand described ‘Baby’ as an uneven ‘khichdi of influences’. “Pandey, who made a big impression with the provocative and controversial vigilante thriller ‘A Wednesday’, applied the same sense of urgency and tension to ‘Special 26’, giving us a smart con film that involved an elaborate cat-and-mouse chase between cops and thieves. With ‘Baby’, his treatment is more escapist than realistic,” Masand wrote in his review.
He added, “The film is an engaging enough thriller sprinkled with witty lines and crowd-pleasing moments that Akshay Kumar performs with a deadpan expression to great effect.”
‘Baby’ also stars Danny Denzongpa, Rana Daggubati, Taapsee Pannu, Kay Kay Menon and Anupam Kher, among others.
The second release of the week, Sonam Kapoor-starrer and Arbaaz Khan Productions’ ‘Dolly Ki Doli’, collected Rs 15.29 crore (Rs 152.9 million). Directed by Abhishek Dogra, the film tells the story of a con-woman (Sonam Kapoor) who robs her grooms on the wedding night and runs away.
The film also stars Pulkit Samrat and Rajkummar Rao.