- Trinamool Congress leading in municipal polls
- CoA tells Supreme Court: Sack BCCI's top three office-bearers
- Chandigarh: 10-year-old rape survivor denied abortion by Supreme Court gives birth to a girl
- Gujarat police officers Amin and Barot quit
- After controversy, DD denies blacking out Tripura CM, says speech was aired
- Sierra Leone mourns 100 children among dead in massive flooding
Actress Dia Mirza named ambassador of Swachh Bharat internship programme
MUMBAI: Actress Dia Mirza has been named ambassador for Swachh Bharat’s youth-based Swachh Saathi student internship programme, according to a letter issued by the Union Ministry of Urban Development.
“Swachh Bharat is among the most important initiatives taken up by the government and I believe that the Swachh Saathi programme will be an extremely important part of our dream to realise a clean, healthy and environmentally conscious youth and country,” Dia Mirza said, after accepting the honour.
Under the Swachh Saathi programme, more than 2,000 student interns would be enrolled to co-ordinate with around 10,000 schools across the country and ensure that all students in these schools take the pledge for a clean India.
“Dia is a youth icon and has been an active campaigner for Swachh Bharat. We felt that she would be the best person to help us reach out to more youngsters. Our aim is to make it a viral youth led movement,” Swachh Bharat Mission Director Praveen Prakash said.
As brand ambassador, Dia Mirza would interacte with thousands of school and college students from across the country through awareness sessions, community cleaning activities and motivational videos.
“Over the years I have tried to engage as many minds as possible to understand that our planet and our country need the immediate involvement of all citizens, so that we can make our world a better place to live in,” she said.