- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
Regional channels debut on Doordarshan’s Freedish
MUMBAI: Regional channels have made a debut on Doordarshan’s Freedish. The pubcaster’s DTH platform has added four channels, including two in the regional genre, in the recently concluded 26th e-auction on 15 February.
Freedish added Marathi movie channels Chitrapat Marathi and Fakt Marathi in the regional category. In the general category, the DTH platform added Hindi movie channel Movie House and Home shopping channel Naaptol Blue, a source in Doordarshan informed.
This is the first time Freedish will have regional-language channels on its platform. Currently, it mainly carries Hindi channels on its platform.
The recent migration to GSAT-15 and the increase in bandwidth has encouraged the DTH operator to start offering regional channels.
Currently, Freedish provides 64 channels including the ‘must carry’ Doordarshan channels. The DTH platform aims to augment its capacity to 112 channels by providing MPEG-4 set-top boxes (STBs).
Buoyed by the availability of additional capacity, Freedish for the first the time reserved slots for non-Hindi regional channels for the 26th e-auction. It also had slots for general category.
The DTH operator had set a reserve price of Rs 2 crore (Rs 20 million) per slot for regional channels. The reserve price for general channels remained at Rs 4.3 crore (Rs 43 million).
“Due to expansion, we have got additional capacity and we have some slots for regional channels to make the bouquet richer. Capacity has increased. However, I am not in a position to reveal the actual number,” Prasar Bharati deputy director general CK Jain had earlier told TelevisionPost.com.
- Expect dynamic shifts as DD’s Freedish reserves slots for regional channels for first time
- DD’s Freedish slot hits new record at Rs 7.6 crore
- DD’s Freedish eyes expansion in non-Hindi markets
- DD’s Freedish migrates to GSAT-15
- DD’s Freedish to get additional transponders on GSAT-15 to offer 250 channels
- Doordarshan’s DTH service plans next cycle of growth