- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
MIB asks chief secys to pull up socks on cracking down on analogue cable signals
MUMBAI: Irked by the poor response to its request to carry out inspection, the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) has shot off another letter to the chief secretaries of various state governments urging them to direct authorised officers to take action against cable operators transmitting analogue signals even after the cut-off date of 1 April.
The sunset date for digital addressable system (DAS) implementation was 1 April after multiple extensions.
The ministry has said that carrying analogue signals and/or unencrypted signals after 1 April 2017 is a violation of Sec 4A of the Cable Television Network (Regulation) Act 1995, for which authorised officers (DMs, sub-divisional magistrates and police commissioners) have powers under Sec 1 1 to seize the equipment of defaulting cable operators.
The ministry said that it has received no response from authorised officers despite forwarding them complaints of analogue signals still being transmitted by some of cable operators.
The ministry had prepared a check list for inspection of MSOs by the authorised officers and the same was sent to them on 25 April with the request to plan regular inspection and take prompt action against defaulters.
The response to the request to carry out inspection by the authorised officers has been very poor, the ministry noted.
“In view of the above, as already requested vide the letter of even no. dated 12.6.2017 (copy enclosed), I once gain request you to direct all the DMs in your state to take action within their powers under Section 11 against the defaulters. I once again solicit your active support and cooperation to achieve full digitisation of the cable TV networks in the country,” the ministry stated.