- ACT Fibernet rolls-out 1 Gbps plan in Bengaluru after Hyderabad
- Vishnu Shankar takes charge as &TV business head
- Unitech Shares Plunge 13% As Supreme Court Stays NCLT Order
- Tax department probes unregulated bitcoin exchanges after valuations jump
- Coal scam: Fmr Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda, Fmr coal Secy held guilty
- Deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar was extended to March 31, 2018
DAS Phase III to cover 38.79 mn TV households; TN is largest market
MUMBAI: The third phase of digital addressable system (DAS) is a herculean task as it is set to cover 38.79 million television households across 630 districts and 7,709 urban areas, as per data released by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB).
The digitisation of analogue cable TV homes in the third phase will span 29 states and five union territories, including Delhi and Chandigarh, which were covered in Phases I and II of DAS along with other metro and semi-metro cities.
Thirteen states have TV households in excess of one million. Tamil Nadu has the most number of TV households at 6.6 million, while Lakshadweep has the least number of TV households at 5,493.
Phase III of DAS will cover all other urban areas (municipal corporations/municipalities) except cities/towns/areas that were covered in Phases I and Phase II. The cut-off date for Phase III is 31 December 2015.
Multi-system operators (MSOs) and direct-to-home (DTH) players have seeded 24 million set-top boxes (STBs) in Phase I and II areas of DAS.
The first phase of DAS covered four metro cities of Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata, while Phase II covered 38 cities having a population of more than 1 million as per the 2001 Census.