- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
DAS Phase III to cover 38.79 mn TV households; TN is largest market
MUMBAI: The third phase of digital addressable system (DAS) is a herculean task as it is set to cover 38.79 million television households across 630 districts and 7,709 urban areas, as per data released by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB).
The digitisation of analogue cable TV homes in the third phase will span 29 states and five union territories, including Delhi and Chandigarh, which were covered in Phases I and II of DAS along with other metro and semi-metro cities.
Thirteen states have TV households in excess of one million. Tamil Nadu has the most number of TV households at 6.6 million, while Lakshadweep has the least number of TV households at 5,493.
Phase III of DAS will cover all other urban areas (municipal corporations/municipalities) except cities/towns/areas that were covered in Phases I and Phase II. The cut-off date for Phase III is 31 December 2015.
Multi-system operators (MSOs) and direct-to-home (DTH) players have seeded 24 million set-top boxes (STBs) in Phase I and II areas of DAS.
The first phase of DAS covered four metro cities of Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata, while Phase II covered 38 cities having a population of more than 1 million as per the 2001 Census.