- Govt to integrate BHIM app with Aadhaar for transactions
- Baby steps for Flipkart: Invests $2 million in parenting network TinyStep
- Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea, Peter Mukerjea charged with murder
- Bharti Airtel, Reliance Jio spar over home broadband
- Sensex negative, Nifty tests 8400; RIL sheds over 2%
- GST deadlock ends: All set for 1 July roll out; uncertainty clears for India Inc
- EC decision helps pass Samajwadi Party legacy to son Akhilesh
- Reserve Bank of India raises daily withdrawal limit from ATMs to Rs 10000
- Underwater search for missing Malaysian flight ends without a trace
Posts by Ashwin Pinto
Keshet International to set up an office in Mumbai with the intention of building production capabilities in India and throughout the region.
Zee business head English cluster Ali Zaidi talks about 2016, the challenges it threw up, and the company’s future growth plans for the genre.
The ‘Survival’ theme will get a boost with new verticals like adventure, military, weapons, crime and investigation. There will be more local content as well, says Sameer Rao.
2016 was a year where the infotainment genre saw a bigger push in localisation. This was also a period of change. Discovery got a new head, Fox Networks Group went through an organisational restructuring, and A+E Networks TV18 JV changed its strategy in favour of local content in Hindi.
If the infotainment genre has to grow beyond 1% of total TV consumption, channels have to look beyond global content. Sangeetha Aiyer also talks about the strategies the company adopted in 2016.
Saurabh Yagnik talks about BARC, the launch of premium channels to create a two-tier market and the impact of OTT on English movie and entertainment channels.
Advertising revenue from sports broadcasting could have neared Rs 3,000 cr in 2016, the first half of which was dominated by a string of T20 cricket matches. The double-digit ad growth was led by cricket while leagues in various sports like kabaddi also contributed.
“Nov has been impacted. We will have to see how Dec pans out. Things are being worked out with the broadcasters,” says Vikram Sakhuja. Shashi Sinha says some advertisers may wait for 30-40 days. Rohit Gupta and Ashish Seghal admit there is uncertainty.
Fox Networks Group business head, India Swati Mohan talks about the rebranding exercise, the pillars of NGC Networks India and the drive to scale up local content.